10 Best Free Antivirus Software to Secure Your System from Lethal Threats
The best free antivirus software has always been the top priority for the PC users, and this article will provide you a satisfying answer to your query. All of us PC users have certainly gone through an issue regarding the virus attacks on our systems, if not yet, you definitely have a concern for further malicious damages. Thus, you need a program to secure your system from this guaranteed harm. And that is called an Antivirus.
Antivirus software protects your system ensuring that all of your important files and personal information remain secure from the malware and viruses. They frequently scan your PC and inform you right after detecting a threat. But in most cases, this security comes at a cost which needs to be purchased and renewed periodically which becomes a matter of concern for many. But fear not! There are ample of free antivirus programs that have the same ability to secure you from any and every harm caused by the threatening elements.
Cybersecurity is one of the greatest concerns of today’s world. And the antiviruses described in this article can give you relief from the boatload of anxiety. Once you read this article, you’ll be equipped to fight and defeat the spyware, malware, and adware attacking your PC. Let’s find out the top antivirus software in 2018 which are not going to cost you a single penny.
List of the Best Free Antivirus Software in 2018
From exposing your financial data to harming your whole computer system, a lethal virus can create a lot of harms. All the programs below perform the automatic definition updates and ensure the privacy and protection of your personal information kept on your system.
Avast Free Antivirus
If you go ahead and ask people about the good antivirus software, Avast will be a common mention. If you’re rummaging around for the antivirus to maintain the reliability of your system, Avast must be the foremost name popping up. Eventually, Avast pops up in every best antivirus software list being a compact customizable option to block new threats.
Avast comes with endless elements to install beside the virus protection. The antivirus portion of the program has lots of changeable options but all of those come with a blurb about the option. So, you won’t be frightened about the outcome after enabling any of those.
How It Works
- Before the installation, you have ample of tools to include like web, mail shields, software updater, and file to name a few.
- Program and definition updates are automated
- After installing Avast, you don’t have to worry about which version of the program you’re running.
Some Great Features of Avast Free Antivirus
- The smart analytics of Avast detects the threats like ransomware, phishing, and other viruses and stops them immediately.
- The cloud-based scanner of Avast – ‘CyberCapture’ sends a suspicious file to cloud for further inquiry. If it’s found to be a threat, every Avast users will be protected further.
- WiFi Inspector inspects your WiFi and makes it more secure.
- Smart Scan detects the security breaches of your system and works on to fix them.
- The Game Mode of Avast makes every notification silent automatically.
- Behavior Shield keeps an eye on every app running on your system and ensures that your system remains unharmed.
- The free password manager, named Avast Password allows you to secure your complex passwords seamlessly.
- The history of all the virus protection turns out to be a massive help.
- Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
- Easy installation process.
- Lightweight antivirus software.
- Can only be used for the home purpose.
- May install irrelevant software.
- Advertisements, within the program, may pop-up.
- Periodic but free registration.
If you overlook these negligible drawbacks, Avast can very well be the best free antivirus software available at the moment. While installing the program, it may ask you to download IE Toolbar or free Google Chrome browser. Since these installations are not mandatory, simply uncheck the box.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
Bitdefender is no new term if you have the least acquaintance with the cybersecurity and antivirus tools. Bitdefender is a Romanian internet security solution company which offers top-notch services for the home and business utility. And the free edition of Bitdefender Antivirus is no exception at all. This antivirus program is not only free but seamlessly effortless to use with uncluttered buttons and menus.
How It Works
- You can drag and drop files or folders on Bitdefender program to scan them.
- You can scan a particular object or the full system by right-clicking on the context menu.
Some Great Features of Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
- Protecting your system against the worms, viruses, rootkits, spyware, and much more.
- Not only the above, Bitdefender provides anti-fraud and anti-phishing protection.
- Full system scan or object-wise scan by right-clicking on the Context menu.
- Keeping the history of all the scans within the ‘Event’ area or on the primary window of the program
- Updating the virus information regularly in the background.
- Easy to use interface makes Bitdefender one of the best free antivirus software.
- This free antivirus program runs on Windows 7, 8, and 10.
- Drag and drop folders and files to the program to quickly run a program.
- Only the ‘Start and Stop Scanning’ feature lacks custom scanning option like the counterparts.
- Takes longer time during installation. The initial installer is small but that is only used to download the main part which takes hundreds of MBs (Megabytes).
- The absence of Pause feature doesn’t let you pause a scan.
- Advertisement pop-ups asking to upgrade to premium can be nagging sometimes.
Above are the full details about Bitdefender. If you want to get the antivirus on your system, go through the full review and download it.
Avira Free Security Suite
The Protection Cloud feature of Avira makes the software shine among all the best free antivirus software. The optional In-the-cloud-Detection feature of Avira lets the antivirus detect the threat after scanning and stop them before it goes out of hand.
How It Works
- Avira detects a suspicious file on any computer.
- A fingerprint of the file generated and uploaded to Avira anonymously.
- Avira scans it and report the file status to every Avira user whether it is safe or risky
This antivirus software scans and removes the existing threats. Moreover, Avira detects and stops the new threats immediately. With Avira by your side, you can be fearless regarding the Trojans, malware, spyware, etc.
Some Great Features of Avira Free Security Suite
- Scheduled scanning.
- Checking every sort of file extension or selected files by you.
- Adjusting priority level of the Scanner.
- Scanning the Boot Sectors.
- Employing PUA Shield to prevent the unwanted apps from damaging your system.
- Avira Browser Safety Extension avails you the extensive features like Safe Browsing, Browser Tracking Blocker, and Price Comparison.
- Avira’s heuristic engine detects the malware it was unaware of until the moment.
- Managing the Windows Firewall settings.
- Protecting the program settings by passwords.
Well, Avira is more than just an antivirus software. Its multilayer security possesses several important modules.
- You’ll get VPN which will encrypt all the traffic (first 500MB every month).
- Software Updater will detect the outdated programs and help you to update them with download links
- The software works on both Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10) and MAC.
- You can add files, and folders to Ignore List.
- Password Manager will secure your complex passwords.
- Only home-based use.
- Intimidating configuration wizard.
- The downloading procedure can take longer than other programs.
- Installation may make a few changes in the browser if not unselected.
So, this was all about Avira. If you ignore the minimal drawbacks, Avira can be the best free antivirus software. Now it’s time to secure your PC with this amazing free antivirus.
Adaware Antivirus Free
Adaware Antivirus Free offers two different patterns to use. Through the first pattern, i.e. regular mode, you can scan the threats in your system. The other pattern is the additional mode where you can use Adaware as the additional program with the prime antivirus of your system such as Avira or Avast.
Adaware Antivirus always runs in the background of the monitor files which makes it one of the best free antivirus software that can replace any other paid or free competitors.
How It Works
This free antivirus software’s second line of defense feature restricts the real-time protection. But you can still use Adaware to manually scan for viruses and other threats. This very feature becomes tremendously helpful when the primary antivirus software doesn’t detect the malware affecting your system.
Moreover, you can run a quick scan (full or custom) through Adaware to defeat the malicious software like ransomware, spyware or malware.
Some Great Features of Adaware Antivirus Free
- Scheduled scanning is available such as monthly, weekly or daily.
- Adaware antivirus can monitor the Windows registry for changes; thanks to the real-time guarding feature of this software.
- If you download any malicious program, Adaware Antivirus Free blocks them before any harm.
- Emulating a hard drive using Adaware through a virtual sandbox.
- Less than 1% CPU consumption by Adaware Antivirus Free makes it an easy-to-install option.
- The compatibility mode of Adaware Antivirus will let you use the software as the secondary antivirus.
- Scanning the phishing and malicious website URLs to prevent any attack on the system (Pro version).
- The right-click context menu allows scanning files and folders.
- Adaware supports an array of different Windows versions: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and Windows 10.
- The silent mode of Adaware Antivirus Free doesn’t let the program bother you while playing a game or watching a movie.
- Some features may get included in the paid section in future
- Email messages are left without any scan (available in pro version)
- The free registration is required to be renewed once in every year to prevent expiration
If you’re looking for the best free antivirus software to protect your system, Adaware Antivirus Free can become a reliable solution considering a few minor drawbacks.
Panda Free Antivirus
Another lightweight antivirus with minimal designs that takes minutes for the installation is Panda Free Antivirus. In the past few years, the lightweight feature in antivirus software has taken a jump towards an immense popularity as these kinds of software consume a great amount of disk space. Nevertheless, many of the useful features are tucked away in the settings portion.
How It Works
Both the on-demand and automatic scanning can be set to check the compressed files and to remove the potentially harmful programs.
Some Great Features of Panda Free Antivirus
- The behavioral and scanning option will enable you to permit Panda whether to neutralize a virus or not.
- A completely unique feature of Panda is its news section which displays the new threats and viruses experienced recently.
- Scans for the actively running threats like browser cookies can be completed within a few minutes.
- The entire application can be protected with a password which makes it one of the best free antivirus software.
- Quarantine can be emptied on three-day, weekly, or monthly basis or never.
- Every action is recorded and is printable in TXT or CSV format.
- Panda Safe Web can be installed to protect your system against malicious sites.
- USB Protection feature of this free antivirus vaccinates your USB Driver against the threatening programs.
- Capable of running full or custom scans as well as critical scans including scanning compressed files.
- Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10.
- You can get protection against the virus, trojans, malware, spyware, adware, etc. and even against the malicious websites which promptly bumps up its usability.
- Comes with advertisements which can be bothersome.
- The installation process of this program is a little slower than the counterparts.
- While setting up, Panda may tend to make unrequired changes.
This was all about Panda Free Antivirus and all its pros and cons. Now when you have a fair idea about the whole working procedure, benefits, and flaws of this antivirus program, it’s your call whether you want to install it or not.
AVG Free Antivirus
Since the antivirus giants – Avast and AVG joined force together (Avast got the acquisition of AVG back in September 2016), they are dominating the cybersecurity market. While both the best free antivirus software enjoy an immense popularity, there is some difference between these two. AVG Free Antivirus is AVG’s popular free cybersecurity program with well-liked premium features such as antispyware engines, and auto background update.
How It Works
AVG Free Antivirus offers an awesome feature namely On-Access Protection or Resident Protection which provides constant virus protection. This feature usually comes at a cost in the premium program of the other antiviruses.
Some Great Features of AVG Free Antivirus
- Regular and automatic updates of the virus definitions make the software aware of new threats in the cyber world.
- Protects your system from the websites carrying malicious objects using the LinkScanner feature.
- The regular protection fields and manual scanning feature of AVG Free antivirus keep away any type of malicious files and folders.
- Astoundingly, this free antivirus software comes with an email scanner which inspects both incoming and outgoing emails to keep your system secure.
- Offers a real-time security update which is an integral part of cybersecurity.
- Moreover, apart from all of the above, AVG provides a 30-day free trial of the free AVG VPN tool. That’s how the best free antivirus software sounds like, isn’t it?
- The in-built File Shredder of this software lets you shred the content by using AVG.
- Compatible with both MAC and Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 OS.
- Small downloading size and easy installation process make the antivirus program superiorly accessible and usable.
- The free version does not support the commercial use.
- AVG Free Antivirus doesn’t include a ‘Game Mode’, so there’ll be no silent virus detection.
- The free version will always insist you to purchase the premium version.
AVG Free Antivirus is one of the most secure antivirus programs present at the moment, and that is the sole reason we’ve included it in the list. Make sure you read every information given above before using the software.
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus of CheckPoint was previously called ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall. Though they have updated the name, the Firewall feature has remained in this free virus detecting and eliminating software. And that advocates to enlist ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus in every list of the best free antivirus software.
Some Great Features of ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus
- In-built firewall and real-time protection from viruses like Trojans, Worms, Bots, Spyware, Malware and much more.
- Scheduled scanning enables the software to regularly keep your system clear from threats.
- Daily credit monitoring.
- Sperate Firewall program can satisfy the users looking only for the Firewall.
- Game Mode of the free antivirus software lets you play games without interruption of notification sounds.
- Implementing browser toolbar to prevent individuals and companies from collecting your personal data.
- Recognizes the threatening programs by the Cloud-Based Response feature.
- Host file can be locked to prevent any editing.
- The software is capable of working on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10.
- The auto-update feature of this software doesn’t bother you for updating the antivirus.
- A huge amount of system memory consumption.
- The interface can be confusing for the beginner with lots of features.
- Installation time is longer than the usual.
Some of the features of ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus is only found in the paid software which makes it one of the finest free antivirus programs at the moment. So, if you also feel the same after going through the above points, install it today.
Amiti Antivirus is a simple yet one of the best free antivirus software programs for the Windows users. You won’t find a lot of options like the other counterparts, but it is efficient in the limited programs or support that it provides. With perioding monitoring and scanning, Amity virus can become a reliable solution in terms of cybersecurity.
How It Works
Amity Antivirus runs a scan through the files running currently. Moreover, the free antivirus program supports the regular update to its own database.
Some Great Features of Amiti Antivirus
- The Scheduled Scanning feature keeps your system harmless by detecting a threat on a regular basis.
- The addition of the context menu is another awesome feature.
- There are customizable scanning and scheduled scanning options available in this software.
- You can keep the files in The Cage to restore or permanently delete the files labeled as infection.
- Amiti has also the capability of deleting the temporary system files and Internet Explorer files.
- The auto-update feature of the software allows it to be ready to take on any new threat. Updates can be as frequent as 60 minutes! So, you will never need to worry.
- The interface is seamlessly easy to work on. The well-organized menu is easy to operate.
- Lack of inbuilt Firewall.
- Unable to eliminate a particular file type from a scan.
- Lack of USB or Email scanning.
The above is everything regarding Amiti Antivirus. Now, it’s time for you to decide whether you want to install this software or not. Whatever decision you make, make it after going through the review above.
Microsoft Security Essentials
If you don’t want to rely on the third-party antivirus tools, here is the best opportunity for you in form of a free antivirus developed by Microsoft itself. Yes, Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the best free antivirus software which will let you know whether the program is protecting your PC or not.
How It Works
To protect your PC against the various kinds of Malware and viruses, MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) has included fully functional engines. So, these engines ensure your PC to be safe from the malicious threats.
Some Great Features of Microsoft Security Essentials
- The resident protection of MSE keeps the malware, spyware, and viruses away from your system.
- Regular and automatic update of virus definition makes the antivirus software aware of the latest threats.
- On-Demand scanner and the manual scanner detects every threat and virus.
- You can exclude the specific file type, locations, and files from the scan.
- The green and red indicator convey if your system is protected or not.
- Removable devices and archives can be set for a full scan.
- The download size of this antivirus program is small.
- The installation process is seamlessly fast and effortless.
- MSE doesn’t download any unrelated software while downloading or installing.
- Compatible with Windows Vista and 7. If you’re a Windows 8 or 10 user, you’ll get Windows Defender in-built with the OS.
- Windows XP is not supported which can turn out to be a major setback because of a huge user base of Windows XP.
- MSE doesn’t offer a silent mode, so, you’ll be continuously getting notifications even when you’re playing a game or watching a movie.
There are varying reports that Microsoft itself has announced not to use the MSE. They have suggested other third-party free antivirus software and programs. So, you may not want to install this program if you value the words of Microsoft. Though many users have reported that they are quite happy with Microsoft Security Essentials.
Kaspersky Free Antivirus
Kaspersky is no new name in the antivirus software but it can be labeled as the best free antivirus software as well. Not a very long ago, Kaspersky has launched its completely free cybersecurity suite. Like any other list, Kaspersky Free Antivirus Software has been listed in our list of the top antivirus software that come with no cost.
Some Great Features of Kaspersky Free Antivirus
- The software is lightweight, so, seamlessly easy to download and install.
- Protects your system against the Phishing, Virus, malware, Spyware and much more.
- The Web Protection feature of this antivirus software prevents the malicious websites from harming your PC.
- Email Protection comes along with Kaspersky Free Antivirus program which isn’t always available in its free counterparts.
- Works really well on Cloud.
- Contains heuristic feature that avails the antivirus to detect the unknown threats. So, you can be tension-free about the unknown viruses.
- Works perfectly on the Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 OS.
- Doesn’t come with Password Manager
- Doesn’t come with Firewall protection
- Often shows advertisements while running the software
- Lack of behavior block
This is all about Kaspersky. We have mentioned every benefit and drawback of the antivirus software. Now, it’s your call to decide whether Kaspersky Free Antivirus is the preferred software to secure your system or you want to go with any other option from the list.
So, this is the end of our list of the best free antivirus software. Each of the antivirus listed here has been tested by our experts. We have jotted down the software that are running excellently in 2018 and possess the potential to be serving you better in upcoming years.
If we find any changes, we’ll surely notify you in this article. If you have other suggestions regarding the free antivirus programs, feel free to suggest us. We’ll add them to our list.