Top 4 Techniques to Optimize Website Images for Improvement in Traffic
One image speaks a thousand words! This maxim proves to be the foremost reason behind business owners’ affection for images on the websites. They include many pictures that not only work on the website’s aesthetics but lessen the bounce rate and increase the conversion rate as well! So, you are most likely to be super-excited about the advantages you are going to get with the alluring images on your site. But wait! As per the market research and study conducted by Virohaa’s top SEO Experts, unoptimized images have caused many sites to see the downfall across the globe!
So, only having alluring images will not be able to give you the exposure you want! Your images need to be optimized at the same time. However, optimizing the image for the internet can often become a perilous task as many things can go wrong! However, if you follow a few proven techniques, it can be really easy for you to achieve your goals. Maintaining the right balance between picture size and quality is the foremost aspect to get the finest optimization result.
We are here to hand you the top tips for your image optimization process. These tips would help Google to easily crawl your images and give you the SEO benefits. Let’s have a quick look.
Add Alt Attributes
Alt Attributes are basically the description of an image that conveys the subject of the image to Google. Google cannot see an image; thus, it reads the alt tags to understand what the image is all about. Therefore, an appropriate alt tag can augment your SEO value and help you in achieving a better rank and visibility on the search engine results. In order to make the best use of the alt tags, you can follow the rules below:
- The image description should be in a comprehensible and easy English.
- The alt tag of the product images (products with a popular or particular name) should include the type/model/serial number.
- Desist from the keyword stuffing in the Alt tags.
- Ornamental images that add no value to the content and information should not contain the alt tags since Google will consider it as an over-optimization.
Make Use of Descriptive File Name
Let’s say, you have opened a folder filled with hundreds of images. Now you are browsing through those files to find the one you need. Would you understand just by looking at the thumbnails which one you need if the file names are image1, image2 and so on? Of course, you won’t get it! That’s the reason why Google will also not be able to recognize an image with such a peculiar name! This is the sole reason why every SEO expert including us always recommends using the descriptive image file name which will do wonder while you are trying to optimize the images of your website. Added to the SEO advantages, your user experience will also be improved with this descriptive file name.
Optimize the Image Size
Image size optimization is one of the most vital aspects of image optimization for any given website. The online users don’t wait more than 5 seconds for your website to load. So, the massive image file size can slow down the page loading time! This will result in increased bounce rate, poor search ranking, and reduced number of traffic on your site. However, we have showcased a few effective image optimization techniques for you to delve into.
- If it’s practically not possible to reduce the image size, having a ‘click to view large image’ option on a smaller image on your site can be a viable alternative.
- Using WebP image format can be another viable option for optimizing your image file size since the WebP image format is generally 26% smaller than PNGs and 25%-34% smaller than the JPG. This image format is designed by Google and supports Google Chrome and the Opera browser. However, non-compatibility with Mozilla Firefox can be a downfall.
- Another wonderful idea of optimizing the image size is the ‘Save for Web’ command found in Adobe. Since almost every individual uses Photoshop to edit images, considering this option can reduce the image size a big-time without compromising its quality.
Using Original Images
Originality always gets the value and the original images are no exception. If you own an eCommerce store, you should always make sure that you have not copied any product images or any other image from the other stores. The uniqueness and originality of your website’s images would pay you highly in return.
Google adores the unique content and that includes the images as well! That is the reason you should always make sure that the images you are using have not been used elsewhere on the internet. An eye-catchy, uncommon, and interesting image can not only attract the eyeballs of the visitors but also can bring you to the good books of the search engine. Thus, you are going to get more website visitors and better returns on your investment. While opting for using the original images, make sure you are not overlooking the following points:
- Image title and description should contain the relevant keywords.
- You need to use pictures that are related to your niche industry.
- The content of the photo should match with the image name you are providing.
Websites of all natures nowadays use the visual media for its capability of grabbing the user attention and turning a website immensely successful. The images on your website make the job extremely easy for you to get engaged with your potential clients. Also, the images can conveniently send your message to them. The right use of the image can augment your business to its fullest extent which is beyond your imagination.
Therefore, you should always advertise your products/services through the images to get the finest exposure from the clients. Only the optimized images can make the process easy and that’s why you should consult a website design agency or digital marketing company for image optimization or follow the above-mentioned techniques to optimize the images on your own.